Monday, 16 November 2015

Grieving and healing



I've recently been reading a daily devotional  called Emotionally healthy spirituality by Peter Scazzero (http://www.emotionallyhealthy.org/)
I have found God speaking right into my life through every word and in every page I turn.  Sometimes I find the words comforting, others inspirational and sometimes there is loving guidance.  Whatever the words, they bring me closer to God.  My prayer today is that they will do the same for you.

Most of us resist remembering and feeling the hurt and pain of our past. It can feel like an abyss that might swallow us up. We can wonder if we are only getting worse. Yet Joseph wept repeatedly when he reunited with his family. In fact, Scripture relates that he wept so loudly that the Egyptians heard him (Genesis 45:2). Joseph did not minimize or rationalize the painful years of his life. He could have destroyed his brothers in anger. Instead, out of the honest grieving of his pain, he genuinely forgave the brothers who had betrayed him, and was able to bless them. Joseph was able to discern that God had sent him ahead to Egypt to save his brothers’ lives by a great deliverance (Genesis 45:7). The question is, “How did he do it?” Joseph clearly developed a secret history over a long period of time in his relationship with God. His whole life was structured around following the Lord God of Israel. Then, when the moment came for him to make a critical decision,he was ready. He took leadership of his family and continued to the end of his days providing for them financially, emotionally, and spiritually.

Question to Consider 
What pains in your life are waiting to be acknowledged and grieved? 

Prayer 
Lord, lead me through the process of grieving and healing that I might offer genuine kindness and forgiveness to those who have not been kind to me. Help me, like Joseph, to join with you to become a blessing to many other people. In Jesus’ name, amen. 

Conclude with Silence (2 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is my prayer that my words may be of some comfort or may bless you in some way...I love to hear from you and your journeys...every blessing H